Monday, March 29, 2010

Hey Yo, it's Fro-Yo

I know that I gabbed and gabbed about the wonderfulness that is the gelato place near our apartment and given the opportunity I would still gab but the fact is that you can't get gelato every night and not either go broke or get fat. So, I took matters in to my own hands and purchased an ice cream maker for cheaper than it would have cost to send mind from Canada or get gelato four times. Yesterday was the test out day and no one was disappointed with the results.

Before I get into the frozen yogurt or fro-yo that I made and consumed with vigour, I should mention that I've started borrowing an idea from a fellow blogger for my posts that include recipes. The blog, which is a very lovely blog and quite fun to read, is called Oh Eat Dirt and it is written by a New Yorker who has a passion for eating local. I'm not so much about the eating local -- though I should be -- but I really like how Miss Oh Eat Dirt highlights her ingredients. So, in the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, thanks for the groovy idea Miss OED and now let's get on to the fro-yo.

It is rather funny that I am writing about this recipe just after praising Miss OED because I actually found the recipe on her site. She borrowed it from David Lebovitz's cookbook The Perfect Scoop which is my absolute favorite frozen confection cookbook ever (and David Lebovitiz's blog is pretty great too; if you're interested just google his name and it will pop up). I have the blog back in Canada but neglected to bring it with me as I thought I would not be making ice cream here...HA! Anyway, the recipe is uber simple, in fact it only has three ingredients: Greek Yogurt, Sugar and Vanilla.


Though I will include the recipe below, you hardly need it. Simply mix together 3 cups of Greek Yogurt, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for an hour.

Then, simply put it into your ice cream maker and let it do all the work of churning for about a half hour.


We ate our finished fro-yo with leftover strawberry rhubarb compote on top but next time I make the recipe, I just might add the compote as the fro-yo is still in the ice cream maker because I'm just that bold...and daring. As a little tidbit of advice, I probably recommend eating the fro-yo as soon as it is made because it hardens up really quickly when you put it into the freezer.



DAVID LEBOVITZ'S FRO-YO

3 cups of Greek yogurt (I used fat-free but I doubt fat content would affect anything but taste)
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and let rest for an hour in the fridge. Pour into an ice cream and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Enjoy immediately or if eating after the fro-yo has been in the freezer, allow the mixture to sit out for a few minutes before trying to scoop.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks yummy! Great pics. Makes my mouth water. That is why I read the blogs after dinner! Not as tempting then to walk straight to the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Missy, your causing Greg heart palipations. As I informed him we are buying an ice cream maker. I won't give you the gory details about the discussion we had...... :) but sometime after easter I am gettin my ice cream maker so I can try this fantastical easy tastey recipe!!!

    Gracie-Lou 0
    Big mama 1

    Love it,

    The TeeJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a note to all my faithful followers from the aptly named Blog Mistress:

    Number One: I heart Foodi-Bear and his delightful post. I hope he comments more often because like the rest of your comments, his comments make me smile.

    Number Two: If you are re-freezing the fro-yo and then eating it at another time, pull it out of the freezer at least a half an hour to an hour before you want to eat it. Something about the fro-yo makes it very difficult to thaw. In fact, as I write this, I'm waiting for it to thaw...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, that is a simple recipe! Makes us want to go out and buy an ice cream maker.

    Just one question, do you need to use Greek yogurt for this recipe. I am not sure if Safeway, IGA or Extra-Foods carries that. We don't have the luxury of having all these special ingredients in a store right around the corner. Can you detect a hint of jealousy here?

    And TJ, I hope that Greg's heart palpitations were the good kind and not the serious ones. We might have to arrange to get together and try out some of Katie's tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize the view out the window, the background of the first picture above. Ahhh... NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete