Sunday, March 21, 2010

Strawberry + Rhubarb = A Party in Collin Murray's Tummy

I have just finally delivered a on a long-awaited promise to make something with strawberry and rhubarb in it for Collin Murray. It took A LOT of whining but finally he wore me down and neither of us complained about the results.

Since I'm a little lazy, I was looking for a recipe with that involved very little work and Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, which I consider to be one of my food bibles, delivered in a big way. With only four ingredients and ten minutes worth of total work and cooking time, really, how could you go wrong? Basically, take two stalks of rhubarb and a big clam shell package of strawberries and cut them into medium-sized pieces that are all relatively the same size. Then, take a 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water and put them into a medium-size saucepan with the strawberries and rhubarb and turn the burner to a medium flame. Then, just stir everything together and wait till the rhubarb starts to break down, about 6 to 8 minutes. I think that I could have let mine simmer a little longer and let the strawberries break down more but I also wanted the syrup to have a little texture too so I didn't want to wait too long and have it just be liquid. We ate the strawberry rhubarb deliciousness over vanilla ice cream but you could easily eat it over waffles or biscuits, or if you let it simmer longer and let it get all nice and thick, you could use it to fill cookies or cakes. It was verra tasty indeed and if you have some spare rhubarb, instead of giving it away to anyone who will take, try the sauce. You might end up not giving away any rhubarb this year!


Step One: Put the cut up strawberries and rhubarb into a sauce pan with the sugar and water


Step Two: Let the fruit get happy until it looks like Step Three


Step Three: After the syrup looks like this, turn it off and allow it to cool before using. Martha says that in the fridge, this syrup will last a week but it can also be frozen

Step Four: Eat up! Doesn't it look tasty?

3 comments:

  1. Looks really good! I love strawberries and rhubarb. I guess that is where Collin got it from. He loved his strawberry rhubarb pies. Any leftovers? Katie will need a treat after her long day tomorrow. Have a great day tomorrow Katie. Collin too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the photos and the recipe. It looks very professional!

    I also love rhubarb and strawberries, esp. on ice cream. But I can see why Collin likes them if he had eaten rhubarb and strawberry pies growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my mom also made rhubarb & strawberry pies but I don't seem to get them very often anymore. Waa waa waa. (Hint hint hint).

    ReplyDelete