Friday, April 30, 2010

DOUGHNUTS!

From the title, you can see that I was a little but excited that we made doughnuts today. It was a long process, not nearly as quick as the bagels, and the dough was a little pesky at times but it was overall a fun day. Our group made chocolate sour cream doughnuts and then we helped make pastry cream and I made Italian doughnuts or bomboloni to test a recipe for the chef. The bomboloni were an enormous disaster. They were made with a dough that should have proofed but we didn't have time for the proofing and as a result, when I fried them, the bombolini acted like an oil sponge. It was actually a little gross and I threw them all out because they tasted like oil. Ek. However, the doughnuts were a delight. The dough was easy enough, mix the wet ingredients into the dry and then roll it out between two sheets of floured parchment paper and let it chill. Then you use a small round and a large round cutter to cut out the doughnuts and then you fry them, let them cool down a touch and dress them with whatever topping tickles your fancy. As you can see from my pictures, I used a lot of sprinkles and just a touch of glaze on my doughnuts. And if you are wondering about the taste, I must say that they tasted pretty swell. Of course they don't taste like store-bought doughnuts, they are a lot denser, but the recipe had a little cinnamon in it and that made for a very nice flavor in the batter.


This picture is of the bomboloni but you get the idea -- you fry up the doughnuts in oil...


And then you get a lovely perfect doughnut...


And when you add colorful sprinkles...



You get a fetching sprinkle doughnut hole...unless you top the doughnut with glaze...


And then it that case you would get this, a lovely glazed doughnut.

Since it is Friday today and I'm verra excited it is the weekend, I will try and keep y'all updated on all the comings and goings of Collin Murray and I. Plus, since it is supposed to me godly hot this weekend (one forecast said it was going to be 28C tomorrow!), I may have a little ice cream session for y'all too.

1 comment:

  1. Doughnuts! No wonder that you were excited about this day. How many different ones did you get to take home so Collin Murray could do his critique? And what was the verdict?

    ReplyDelete