Friday, April 9, 2010

Making Cheesecake New York Style (But Not Eating It...Yet)

I got a sunburn today and I'm sorry to share this information with any of the Calgarians reading this blog because I understand that it snowed there today. Sorry guys. Really sorry. If it helps, my sunburn is so slight that I only look a little pale now instead of ridiculously pale...

On to the show which today involved making custards again. Did you know that cheesecake is a form of custard? I didn't until today when we made them! They looked very yummy but Chef forced us to cling-wrap those puppies up and put them in the fridge to chill overnight. Look for the picture tomorrow (this is my clever marketing ploy to get you to come back to the blog tomorrow...) and look for Collin Murray being sprawled out on the couch in a food coma tomorrow after he eats half the cheesecake too -- he is verra excited. Our group made mascrapone cheesecake and it looked quite good but we shall see tomorrow. What is that saying, 'the proof is in the pudding'? It's close enough for this situation and I will let y'all know tomorrow.

In addition to the cheesecakes we made today, we also learned how to make creme anglaise which is basically a dessert sauce that is used in a plethora of ways -- anything from a sauce for bread puddin' to an ice cream base is all creme anglaise. It has very few ingredients but it is rather tricky to make. You start by heating milk, cream, sugar and a vanilla bean until almost boiling. Then, you whisk the dairy mixture into a bowl of beaten egg yolks very quickly and then immediately put the custard back onto the stove and either continue cooking it until it's sauce-y (or, as the real chefs out there say, nappe, which means when you coat the back of the spoon with the custard and then swipe your finger down the spoon, that the mixture will hold the line your finger made). Then, you strain the mixture to get rid of any egg-y bites and immediately cool it in an ice bath and then use in whatever preparation tickles your fancy. Since we just made the creme anglaise to make it and learn the technique behind it, there was no specific purpose in mind for the sauce serving wise. I served it as a sauce on fruit which was super tasty but as I said, you can use it in so many things the possibilities are nearly endless.

I will leave you with a picture of my un-molded creme caramel from yesterday. Isn't she purty?

7 comments:

  1. Very impressive! It looks too pretty to eat. Cheesecake is one of my favorites. I love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is a snowy Saturday morning here, snow all over everything and only +4°C (39°F for the yanks) so not a lot of sympathy for the heat here.

    It is hard to say how tasty all the photo's look. That Canon was a brilliant choice even if I do say so myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a problem with the time/space continum? Just wondering how it is Saturday in Cochrane and still Friday in New York...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok ok I know. I was tired when I typed that in and was hoping it was Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am confused!!! I just logged on to here to comment on yesterday's blog (Thursday, April 8th) and also to read today's. But I just noticed that the New York cheesecake says that this is the one for Friday April 9th. I thought that was yesterday's topic?

    So I will just say that looks like a beautiful picture of your creme caramel. Once I find out what I am missing, I will make a more concentrated, intelligent comment. But right now, maybe because it is bedtime in the rockies, and after reading Patrick's comment saying that it is Saturday, I feel like I am in a mini-time warp.

    Please tell me what day this is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I consulted the Blogmistress to find out what the situation with the date/day was. Apparently the Blogmistress sometimes doesn't get motivated to write her blog until late at night and on Thursday evening she did not finish until after midnight. So that is why the cheesecake topic shows that it is posted on Friday, April 9th.

    My mouth still waters when I look at the picture of that dessert above! Picture perfect and agreeably purty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The Blogmistress sometimes doesn't get motivated to write her blog until late at night"...WATCH IT with the lack of motivation comments. This isn't as easy as it looks.

    ReplyDelete