Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Roller Coaster Of Sugar and Pastry and Emotion

Man alive did I have a bad day today and I really don't want to talk about it. We had a roller coaster, quite literally, of pastry and sugar and then we finally had success. The thing that I was so excited about making today was a French pastry wonder called croche en bouche (crock en bush or booosh, I'm truly not sure which way is right). It is basically a tower of cream puffs held together with caramel and boy oh boy was our final product a beauty. Our first product was not, actually, our first products were not. Both my partner and I had our croche en bouches fall apart and our sugar hardened and the owner of the school came in and was eating the few remaining cream puffs we had and asking questions that we all didn't know so we were making our chef look bad, and our new batch of caramel had to be remade twice and people in the class were annoying and mean about the whole thing and my partner got burnt like five times (I was unscathed...) and our burner broke twice and we lost power -- can you see why I don't want to talk about it? It was a disaster. However, then, once we made new caramel and worked together and got a little extra help, we made the most beautiful croche en bouche. Don't believe me, ask our chef.


This is the finished product which doesn't have a lot of spun sugar on it yet but because we were so worried that something terrible would happen to our croche en bouche we took pictures of it right away just in case!


This is the finished product. The little purple bits are actually candied violets. So pretty. After the horrible disappointment of the first croche en bouche, I was so happy and relieved with our perfect one because I had been so excited for this day that I just wanted it to all work out! Thank goodness it did!

We also made these things called paris brest. They are comprised of three little circles of pate a choux piped together and then brushed with egg and sprinkled with almonds, baked, cooled, and then sliced in half and filled with pastry cream and topped with heaps of confectioner's sugar. I didn't eat them so I cannot attest to how they tasted but damn did they look pretty.


I couldn't decide which view I liked better and I wanted to give y'all an idea of how full of pastry cream the paris brest was.


Today was also actually our last day with our chef because, believe it or not, we are finished our first quarter of school. Shocking, right?! It's going so fast and it is so intense I can't even take it. Tomorrow we have a date with our career services advisor and then Monday we have a practical exam (we have to make creme anglaise and flourless chocolate souffle) and we have a written test too. Sheesh. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend, hopefully Collin Murray likes him some souffles and creme anglaise 'cause I'm going to be practicing like crazy!

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I hope that you had a martini when you got home. Sounds like a double was in order with that kind of day. Plus you were probably worried about Nanny's surgery on top of all that.

    Glad to hear that you have survived! Even though I definitely know and love cream puffs, I had never heard of croche en bouche! Very impressive creation! Wow!

    But I can only imagine the emotions when the owners of the school arrived at the exact worst time. And then when they started eating the few remaining ones before you got a chance to make your tower.

    Congratulations on your perseverance! I hope that in the future you will realize that if you continue to think positively and visualize the end result, that things usually work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on perservering and triumphing with the best croche en bouche of them all!!!

    I think if I owned a school like that, I just might stop in occasionally and do some sampling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, they look awesome! I think you did a wonderful job on them. Impressive! I'm looking for a quick afternoon flight for coffee break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey my sweet,

    Your cream puff temple was glorious!!!!!!! I'm reading your blog from jail...........

    lots of love
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, I once catered a wedding and their cake was a giant crochenbouche and the kitchen was so hot we could barely spin the sugar and it hit everything in giant un-ceremonial blobs and by that time the cream was seeping from the pastries. And it was listing dangerously to one side. Then we had to haul the abomination out to 125 people - not our finest hour. It did take much longer and the guests drunk, so that helped.

    ReplyDelete