Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Painted Cat Lady and Her BF Edward No-Scissorhands

Here is what I can say for today, I enjoyed the sun. It was really a beautiful day today in New York. I finished my test in my management class early and so Collin Murray and I were able to have lunch on a bench in Madison Square Park and then since he had to work, I hung out at the apartment, did laundry and attempted to make macarons (look for a blog about that soon -- it was too much of a disaster to discuss today). In the laundry room I met one of our neighbours who I have seen selling art at the Greenmarket. She is, to be politically correct, a very eclectic lady. Very eclectic -- like feathers in the hair and over a certain age but still wearing mini-skirts and patchwork jeans eclectic -- but also really, really nice. I talked with her today for about 45 minutes while she folded her laundry. Her laundry was an experience let me tell you. First of all, there were no underwear?! And, everything was either ripped, or had ricky-racky ticky-tacky stuff sewn into it or had paint on it. She delighted me. We chatted about grocery stores and health care and I had a rant about recycling (aren't you proud Mama?). I have no clue what her name was but maybe I will call her Painted Cat Lady because she noticed the cat hair on my pants and shared with me that she has four cats of her own... I also know that she also has a man-friend because I've seen his freaky self in the building too. The thing is, they are both so nice and they are very warm and open but they look a little nuts! The man looks a little like Edward Scissorhands without the scissor hands and he must be a music man because whenever I see him he is carrying some kind of instrument-shaped case. The point is, they are nice. They are nice crazy peeps that you would only ever see in New York and whenever Collin and I see them, we chuckle to each other that you only see that degree of eccentricity in New York.

Tomorrow I start the bread module of my pastry class and I know that Collin Murray is excited. I'm excited too and I hope that there is a lot of kneading and that I can work off my excess arm fat. So since the new unit is starting, I hope to have a more focused blog to share with y'all soon. All this test business makes for a challenge when blogging and hopefully that will change tomorrow. Till then, enjoy these photos. I know it has nothing to do with Painted Cat Lady and Edward No-Scissorhands but I know the photos make Rod happy and I have been working on my close-up shots lately. Let me know (nicely) what you think. Toodles.


This is/was delicious prosciutto, purty, huh?


Blood oranges that I fought with and took pictures of for days. I need to be a little less of a perfectionist because I really love this photo but I see so many things that I could have done better.


I love this Macaron and I long for mine to look this good one day.

5 comments:

  1. It is very frustrating when things you bake don't turn out. I find it happens when you have company the most! I would love to be in the kitchen with you learning. I love your Macaron pic! Sounds like you may have some interesting people living in your building. Especially those that leave their taps on! Enjoy baking bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like your building does house some interesting characters. This lady sounds a little more entertaining than Steve. I have heard about you guys being trapped in the laundry room with him before!

    Sorry to hear that you macaron experiment did not turn out. That is definitely frustrating. But don't let one disaster spoil your enthusiasm! Practice makes perfect but maybe it had to do with the fact that you were over tired from the last few days of stress.

    So my advice next time would be to try a challenging recipe when you are well rested and focused. Just some more fatherly advice!

    Hugs,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the Painted Cat Lady and Edward No-Scissorhands have any cute nicknames for you guys!

    In my opinion, big cities are a great place for people to gain a tolerance for variations in the human condition. Living in NYC will, I'm sure be one of the memorable phases of your lives that you both will look back on with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again!

    I forgot to comment on the amazing photos, AGAIN! Sorry...

    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Yes, doesnt the lack of recycling drive you maaaaaaddddd!

    ReplyDelete