Saturday, April 10, 2010

Journeying to the L.E.S

It was a relaxing Saturday here in New York which made for a lack of material to blog about. I got my hair did (5 to 6 inches gone off the bottom of my locks) and we explored the Lower East Side. It seems as though a lot of people have been nattering on and on about the wonders for this New York neighbourhood and I have to tell you that I was pretty underwhelmed by it. Now it could be that I'm just not that hip but seeing an area in a transition from kind of a sketchy neighbourhood to trendy hip-ville just didn't light my fire. Some places had torn awnings, no names, and really freaky looking people walking into them and other places were really fancy like -- everyone was drinking mimosas and wearing sunglasses. It was a real dichotomy. But there was also the feeling that a lot of the more established mom and pop shops probably won't last very long because of how fast hip-ville is coming. It's kind of sad, really. I mean, I probably would not have frequented the neighbourhood if not for hip-ville but I would be ok with that -- I don't need to go everywhere -- but now, all the people and the businesses that were happily existing will most likely get pushed out because they won't be able to afford the rent and soon there will Starbucks and Kate's Paperies and Banana Republics everywhere and all the pretty people will have moved in. At least when that happens I probably still won't want to go there, I've been once and that was enough. I'm a West side kind of girl anyway.

Tomorrow there will be much running around to be done and homework and creme anglaise practicing too. All in all, it is a rather dull weekend for the blog but such is life. I don't even have any pictures for y'all which means I must have really have dropped the ball as far as living the glamorous life of a New York City Lady. I'll try harder for tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about this shortened blog with no pictures or recipes! I know it was a relaxing Saturday for you, but you have set a certain standard and your blog readers now have expectations!

    But I did enjoy your observations of the L.E.S. Sounds like it might be an area to check out in the future. I wonder where all the Mom & Pa's and sketchy people will go when the beautiful people invade the hip-ville parts of the Lower East Side? Queens or Brookllyn???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me a break Rod. Everyone is allowed a slack day once and a while. The hip people are already in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I hope that you know that I was only joking! We realize that this is quite the effort that you go through on a daily basis. I definitely enjoy reading your blog daily, regardless whether it contains photos, etc.

    Keep us the good work!

    ReplyDelete