Thursday, June 24, 2010

Best Pastry Day Ever

I have been waiting for this day at school for a very long time and I'm so happy with the results. Today was CHOCOLATE RIBBON CAKE DAY! Which means I made this lovely cake today:


But how you ask? Basically, we made chocolate hazelnut sponge cake, frosted it in chocolate mousse, covered it in chocolate plastic and then molded the chocolate plastic into decorative bits that we put atop the cake and then, finally, we painted some of the cake with gold dust mixed with a wee bit of oil. Now the cake and frosting part is all stuff y'all know from previous blogs but working with the chocolate plastic was a whole new animal. Chocolate plastic is melted chocolate with corn syrup mixed in -- remember this picture from yesterday? After the chocolate hardens, it looks like this:


Then you bunch it up and basically knead it like bread with the heel of your hand till it is smooth and has no bumps.


Then you run the the plastic through a pasta machine to lengthen and smooth it out. A piece is wrapped around the sides of the cake and then small pieces are ruffled and placed around the edges of the cake in concentric circles till the cake is covered in plastic.


After that, all that is left is to decorate and paint and admire.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Katie!! It looks like it would not be real, it is so smooth and decorated amazingly gorgeous. Too pretty to eat. I can see why you would have really enjoyed making it. It shows you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Katie, too pretty to eat. Good work Love Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to have taken so long to comment on this blog. I have been admiring this cake for a few days now. I have been so impressed that you actually made this with your own hands that I did not know what to say. I cannot believe that you can actually eat it!

    Then when I was talking to you on the phone and you said that you could make a gluten free version of this cake, I was ecstatic! Now I definitely know what cake I want to commission for our next dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, that is really really impressive. There must be an awful lot of people who would love to serve a cake like that for a really special occasion. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope so Pat! And I would charge them a bundle because it was a lot of work! But it is so pretty, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete