Monday, June 28, 2010

Dessert Plate Production: Day One

We began plating desserts today which might sound easy but when you factor in that each and every item on the plate has to be made before it can be plated, things get a little hectic. Our team worked on the components for a chocolate tart that will be filled with chocolate caramel, topped with chocolate ganache and that has a side of chocolate puddin', caramel and salted caramel ice cream...I think I got fatter just writing that.

I made the caramel popcorn, the dough for the tarts, and the ice cream and I helped with the ganache. It was pretty intense at times and I was glad that my partners and I were working together to get things done -- it's how things should be, I know, but it always helps when there is a good partnership flow.


Wee half-finished tart

The popcorn was delicious by the way. I may have to sneak that recipe onto the blog sooner or later. It reminded me of my Nannie's poppy-cock and since chef knew that everyone would be eating it, he had us make a double batch. I did have a fairly angst-ridden moment making the popcorn though: it's not as easy making it on an induction unit in the middle of a busy kitchen, using tin-foil and a pan to cover the pot and desperately peaking to make sure it wasn't burning! Oy.


Caramel Peanut Popcorn

Tomorrow we get to finish our plating by churning our ice cream, finishing our tarts, and of course, putting it all on a plate! I think it will be an exciting and tasty day -- stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. It is just amazing all the techniques and tricks you are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that the poppy cock caramel peanut popcorn as you call it looks very tasty. We will have to compare recipes with Nanny Mary's to see if they are the same. Reminds me of Christmas time and making batches to give away. The other fancy desserts are way out of my league!

    ReplyDelete