Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Your Roulade Is Maisie's Jelly Roll

We made roulade today. Sounds fancy, right? Not really, it's just a jelly roll. At least my Grandma Maisie would have called it a jelly roll. She made these cakes all the time and while they weren't super fancy, they were always damn tasty, especially with her "special" strawberry sauce. I thought of her today as I was making my roll, and I think she would have liked its sass meringue outside. Here is how the roulade came to be in pictures:


Here is the cake stacked high with strawberries and whipped cream and waiting to be rolled up like a cigar...


Rolling...


Rolled!


Coated in meringue and waiting to be adorned with sassy spikes!


Spikes on the finished roulade! After this I torched the roll and browned up the little spikes but I liked this picture better...sorry.

2 comments:

  1. I would call it a jelly roll as well. But mine are never as fancy as that one. Keep up the great work Katie. Thanks for keeping me posted! Your pictures let me taste each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after our hectic trip to NYC and a couple days to recover, I can finally get back to my routine of commenting on the Tiffany Blue Chef's blog. I would also agree that this is jelly roll and a very impressive one at that.

    I love those meringue spikes! I think it adds another layer of sophistication to the dessert. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete