Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So Much Buttercream, So Little Time

Today we started class by making buttercream and we finished class by having it all over ourselves, our tables, the floors, oh yeah, and all over our cakes. To be honest, other than a little piping, we didn't do much else today as after the making of our buttercream, we went over about 20 different ways to flavor it, and then our chef went over one way to ice a cake. For many people, myself included, this was the first time that we had ever iced a cake in such a manner. I've frosted cakes before, haphazardly and without a lot of skill but today was the real deal and at the end of the day most of our class were tired, grumpy and frustrated. it's not as easy as it looks but hopefully we will have better luck tomorrow when we make petit fours!


Cake innards


Finished product -- Lemon-Scented White Cake with Lemon Buttercream, Raspberries and Sugared Almonds


A view inside

Oh yeah, I promised you a picture of my pineapple crumb cake from yesterday...here she is.



Lastly, I want to thank the lovely Collin Murray and the fantastic Patrick for their hard work on the new site. Thanks guys! I'm thrilled with it and could have NEVER figured all that computer business out myself!

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice! I missed a day again of blogs, still trying to get into June! Looks like it could be Collins Birthday cake. Buttercream has its moments doesn't it? Great piping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, happy birthday to Collin Murray! That does look like a beautiful cake that you made. I can only imagine how good it tastes.

    Keep up the fantastic work! Can't wait to head down there and see and taste the results in person. Only one more sleep and we will be there to join in the festivities!

    ReplyDelete