Monday, June 14, 2010

Regroup!

Apparently going to pastry school does not equal always getting free reign to create...this is what we were told in-so-many words by our chef today. We were told this because we got to decide each and every aspect of our cake making today -- evidently this degree of creativity is not typical...

My plan today was to make a lemon meringue cake. I had it all mapped out: plain genoise soaked with limoncello syrup, filled with lemon curd and iced with a Swiss meringue frosting that I would style to look like a peaked lemon meringue pie and then slightly brown with a torch. However, my plan was thwarted when the layers of plain genoise that we made last week were sunken in the middle and could not be cut into three even layers. Regroup! Since there was only chocolate cake left, I tried to come up with a combination that was less about the flavor of the cake itself and more about the added flavors. In other words, Collin Murray hates chocolate and I needed to attempt to come up with a cake flavor that de-emphasized the chocolate-y-ness of the cake. I do what I can to keep my taste tester happy.


So I made a frambroise-scented chocolate genoise with framboise pastry cream, fresh raspberries and flamed meringue topping (that's what makes the decorations look a little brown...lightly torching them with a little flame). In case you aren't familiar, framboise is a raspberry liqueur. It is one of my favorite liqueurs because the flavour is really delicious and not too heavy. The cake itself was pretty tasty if I do say so myself and Collin Murray liked it too -- except for the fact that it was chocolate cake.

1 comment:

  1. It is too bad that your initial idea for a lemon meringue cake was not possible. That did sound amazing. So you might have to make that one at home sometime.

    However, your creation of the frambroise-scented chocolate genoise cake also looks and sounds delectable. And if Collin Murray liked it as well that is all that counts!

    ReplyDelete