Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mod Three Begins With A Whole Lotta Cake!

Holy crap. We baked a lot of cake today and I'm rather tired just thinking about it. We made carrot cake, chocolate cake and muffins and all were painfully simple to make. The first part of this module is all about making cakes with different cake mixing methods. Today, fittingly for our first day, was the one step or one stage mixing method. Now, I'm sorry to be picky but I have to admit that a method that is called one step should only have one step...this one has three. Mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry and wet ingredients together and presto! It's a cake! Easy right?

The carrot cake was so delightfully delicious that I can't even begin to tell you. In fact, I just had a piece for dessert. We made an enormous cake, it was the size of two cookie sheets stacked on top on one another and then iced with a cream cheese frosting. Doesn't it look good enough to eat?





The chocolate cake tasted good from what I could tell; I sampled the crumbs as we froze the cake and will work with it next week. It will be my first four layer cake and I am pretty excited for it. I'm hoping for some tasty frosting to ice it too -- Collin Murray doesn't like chocolate cake so maybe I will luck out and get the whole thing to myself (he does however like carrot cake and God bless for that because if he was not here sharing, I might eat the whole thing!)!

We also made muffins today. The muffin base was fairly simple and then our chef provided us with a bunch of variations with which to pick from and flavor our muffins. Unfortunately our group got totally scooped on the muffin flavor picking and ended up with date and walnut muffins...fiber anyone? I'm not actually sure how they taste yet as I'm really more of a morning muffin girl but I can tell you that they look great and were a cinch to make.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful colors in the carrot cake! I'm sure it is absolutely yummy. One of my favorites. I think you will certainly be use to baking all day by the time you finish classes, great prep towards starting your own bakery! I must say I really did miss your blogs over the weekend, but am really happy you took some time out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like one mother of a carrot cake. Did you actually grate the carrots yourselves and if so, how many bushels did it take? Being the curious gardener, I was just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grated the carrots...others used the machine. See Rod, you raised a hard worker afterall!

    ReplyDelete