Friday, May 7, 2010

Two Tarts For The Road

We made some very pretty and very tasty tarts today, one savory and one sweet. Seeing as we had made a lot of the ingredients before hand, there is not a whole lot to relay to y'all about the preparation of the tarts but I will do my best. The first tart we made was called Pizza Rustica and it is basically a big 'ol pan lined with dough and filled with a mixture of ricotta, mozzarella and pecorino cheeses, parsley, proscuitto and salami, eggs and salt and pepper. The tart is about three inches deep and is very delicious and very rich. We made the Pizza Rustica, which the chef called Yum-Yum Pizza Rustica, with the pasta frolla dough that we had put together earlier in the week. The pasta frolla had a lot of sugar in it which you can really taste in the finished product and which I would probably change if I made the Rustica again but the filling is super delicious.


Pizza Rustica

We also used the pate sucree and the frangipane that we made earlier this week to make fruit and frangipane tarts which were an exercise in zen baking. I must say that one can become very calm while methodically placing raspberries onto a frangipane tart. Once the tarts had baked we glazed them with the apricot glaze and then divided them among the classmates. Everyone had their choice as to what kind of fruit and what kind of frangipane to use and I chose my combination because I thought the flavors naturally went well together. I think the end result is very tasty and rather lovely too.


Pre-baked tart


Fresh from the oven tart


Slice of tart

4 comments:

  1. Okay, my mouth is watering now. Very nice. It looks so perfect! Great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a tart so large! And god is it delectable looking?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you guys were giving away tarts that size to the staff at the school, that should award you many brownie points. They look so delicious!

    I would love to see inside that pizza rustica. How did Collin Murray enjoy those left overs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your father! I want to see inside that zaa! Please remember how to make that and tell me how to make it. I MUST HAVE THAT!

    ReplyDelete