Sunday, May 16, 2010

Waffles and Dinges

I've had my fill of waffles the past couple days because I've been following, by complete accident I assure you, the Waffles and Dinges food truck around New York City. Food trucks are a big food trend that is beginning to sweep the nation but is very popular right now in New York. There are ice cream trucks, taco trucks, cupcake trucks, Chinese dumpling trucks and of course, there is also a waffle truck. The truck parks at different locations throughout Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs during the day and appears to have more than one "truck" or cart as when I had my first waffle experience on Saturday evening an actual gas-powered truck was parked on 7th Avenue in the West Village and this morning a baby waffle cart was parked near the South Shore Seaport. Of course if you have trouble keeping track of Waffles and Dinges you can always follow the waffle truck on Twitter. Don't laugh but I'm actually thinking I might because them were some darn tasty waffles.

The dinges, basically different waffle toppings, are plentiful and for just $2 you can have as many as you like on your waffle of which there are two basic types: the liege which is a crispy on the outside and soft on the inside little tasty nugget and the Brussels waffle which is crisp and light. I'm a liege kind of girl who like a dinge of fresh strawberries and nutella but you can have your waffle however you like -- they even slap two waffles together with ice cream and make an ice cream waffle sandwich!


Collin Murray's strawberry and maple syrup liege waffle

As I said, the waffle truck is a fairly inexpensive breakfast or snack and it is super tasty. The gentlemen who make the waffles and take your orders are the good kind of sassy and let us try a couple of the toppings before making our choice. I think the world needs more waffle trucks, don't you?!


My nutella and strawberry liege heaven...and my dirty fork.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Who knew there was a whole new glossary of words connected to eating waffles! Are these pre-cooked waffles like the Eggo kind that are just reheated or does the waffle man in the truck make them from scratch?

    Just wondering, as they certainly don't have that sort of thing in Cochrane, Alberta. The closest thing is the lunch lady that travels around the construction sites selling soup and sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete