Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The City Bakery Pretzel Croissant

I experienced a marvelous thing today. The City Bakery Pretzel Croissant. I've been lusting after it for weeks and weeks. I've been told dozens of times by many different sources that this NYC original was not to be missed and ya know what, they were right.


The recipe is closely guarded. In fact, a few rounds of googling turned up nothing but myths and failed attempts of the many people who have tried to recreate it. If I had to guess, I would say that they make a pretzel dough and then fold and pound it, the same way that croissants are made. The taste is quite salty but also buttery and moist. The texture is not as dense as a pretzel but not as flaky as the croissant. In a word, it was delicious and I am definitely going to go back for more.

2 comments: