Monday, September 13, 2010

The Queen's Strawberry Fool

A long time ago, The Queen fed me a delicious dessert and I've never forgotten it. It was a simple dessert: slightly sweetened whipped cream, strawberries marinated in a wee touch of sugar and a tiny bit of balsamic and a sprinkling of crushed meringue cookies but it was profoundly good.

At the grocery store today, I saw a package of pre-made meringues and I had to have them. My idea was to whip some cream, stuff it into the meringues and top it off with some wonderful diced peaches from the market. However, after dinner, when Collin Murray was not-so-subtly poking around for dessert in the fridge, I remembered that I had some strawberries that were about to go bad and so I used them to recreate the The Fool instead...

The recipe for The Queen's Strawberry Fool (which is probably not the same recipe that she used because it came from my memory and I didn't measure...) is simple.

Slice a few strawberries, sprinkle them with a little sugar (depending on how sweet they are), and a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze (you only need a tiny, tiny bit -- the flavor of the vinegar is very strong).


Then, whip some cream with a little sugar till it reaches stiff peaks.


And then, mix the strawberries and the cream together and take a meringue and crumble it on top...


Eat immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment