Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Easy Wine and Cheese

I have to say that one of my all-time favorite dinners is a wine and cheese and I know that it sounds like a super snobby, ridiculous, and kind of over-the-top dinner but I promise you, the way I hook up a wine and cheese is anything but. Follow my simple "suggestions" and I bet you'll be wining and cheesing every chance you get!

For the cheese, I don't tend to follow any of those rules about hard cheeses, soft cheeses, blues and goats: I go with what I like. Generally, I have a cheese that is really salty like a pecorino, parm or manchego. I have a softer cheese like a saint andre or brie, a semi-soft cheese like a fruity tallegio or firmer fontina, and then I like a cheddar. I know it's not the way that the experts say to do it, but it's what Collin Murray and I like. If you are shopping for cheeses, go to a specialty store where the people behind the counter will let you taste and you can begin to figure out what your favorites are.


I know I just told you I never follow the rules about goats and blues and here they are on the platter...all I can say is that Collin Murray and I are trying our best to get out of our cheese comfort zones. Trying.

I know it's called a wine and cheese but I like to serve a nice thinly slice prosciutto or salami along with the cheeses. I also like to put out crackers or toasted bread, walnuts or almonds, dried fruit, fresh fruit like grapes or granny smith apples and also a few grape tomatoes. Think about the different tastes and textures that you like and be a little adventurous with what you eat your cheese with. One of my favorite combinations is a dried apricot with soft not-too-goaty goat cheese, wrapped in some lovely prosciutto. Crazy, right? Uh huh, but also crazy good.



For the wine, I really am no expert. Drink what you like. Seriously: Drink. What. You. Like. Sometimes Collin Murray and I have bubbly, sometimes we have red, it just depends on what you're craving. True, not everything you eat is going to go with your wine, but really, who cares? Just have fun and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of dinner! Good choices. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete