Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eataly Is Love

An event of monolithic proportions occurred in New York this week: Eataly opened. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, Eataly is basically an All-Italian Supermarket with the highest quality and best selection of Italian products outside of Italy. Though there are a few locations actually located in Italy, and in other parts of the world too, Eataly New York (conveniently right across the street from school...!) is the first of its kind in North America. Mario Batali and his business partner Joe Bastianach (and Joe's mother, Italian food maven Lidia Bastianch are major investors in store and I have to tell you that it is truly amazing. They have everything: the finest meats, bread, fresh pasta, dried pasta, cookbooks, fish, a mozzarella bar, a Parmesan bar, Alessi products, wine, beer, spices, jarred sauces, fresh produce, desserts, coffee...everything.

It's a beautiful store and though my hand was a little shaky from excitement, I took a few pictures so y'all can see inside. It is so wonderful that I have a feeling that I just might become a regular in the coming weeks...


This view is looking back on 5th ave...can you spot Mario Batali?!


Meat Counter (a lovely red-haired Texan named Jordan who is in my management class at school works behind here, she's a peach)


Aisles and aisles of pasta and sauce = heaven on earth.


Parm wheel station -- isn't that just amazing?!


Lovely wee desserts

Eataly is located at 200 5th Avenue in New York. Though they don't appear to have a website yet, you can check out their Facebook page or just google Eataly NY and have about 60 dozen hits come up!

2 comments:

  1. Well I remember that we walked past this place when we were visiting back in June and you pointed it out. It looks like an amazing store and so close to the school as well. I imagine that you will be stopping by regularly on your way home.

    When do you want me to give you my list of things to bring back???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that back in June the store was still under construction so I was only able to see the front part all boarded up.

    I guess if you can't bring back everything on my list that means that we will just have to make another trip to NYC again so that we can tour the place personally!

    ReplyDelete