Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Four Flower-Filled Hours

I hit a wall today. A wall covered in flowers. About two hours into class I looked at my watch and wanted to cry. I like making the gum paste flowers, I really do, but today I just couldn't imagine making anymore. I think it was because the majority of my day was spent doing little tasks for tomorrow that I felt a little bored and frustrated but hopefully that means that tomorrow will be full of sunshine and roses, err, carnations...

So here is the round up for today...

I dipped the lily bases in cornmeal:


I made carnation bases and more mimosas:


I made azaleas:


I finished my roses with more petals and with bases:


Oh yes, here are the tools that we use to create the gum paste flowers. The red thing is a dense sponge pad that you use to lay the petals on when you are shaping them because it is a soft surface. The little tool is called a dog bone and it is used to thin and shape the gum paste. It is very smooth and allows for detail work. The cutter that is sort of shaped like a big tear drop is for cutting out rose petals. And finally, the rolling pin is made specifically for gum paste/fondant. It allows you to roll out small amounts of fondant and it is smooth so it doesn't wrinkle the fondant.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe that those 3 simple tools allows you to make those amazing looking flowers! That is really mid boggling that you are able to do that.

    I am sure that you will get your satisfaction tomorrow. Remember how you got frustrated with the chocolate show piece and look how that turned out! You just have to have faith!

    ReplyDelete