Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Husk Cherries

On Monday, The Kitchenista and I visited the Greenmarket to shop for a cooking demo she was doing on Tuesday and as much as we were shopping with a purpose, she also introduced me to a unique little fruit that was totally new to me. A sister of the gooseberry, husk cherries have been peeking their little heads up around the market for about a month now.


The cherries are enrobed in a thin but sturdy little husk jacket but when you remove the outer skin, the berry's golden color is quite striking.


Inside the berry has tiny seeds but lacks the pit that you expect from normal cherries, it's a little but juicy but not overwhelmingly so and the flavor is truly unique. To me it tastes almost like an apple pear but other people told me that to them husk cherries taste like sweet tomatoes. Whatever you taste, I can assure you that these little nuggets are truly delicious!

2 comments:

  1. im wanting them! maybe tomorrow ill grab some i gotta go to the city anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what this fruit reminds me of, I think that they look a lot like the tomato like fruit used in salsas. I think that they are called tomatillas. They have that same hush but from what I remember they are not sweet. Or am I totally on the wrong page?

    ReplyDelete