Monday, August 30, 2010

Fruit Salad Done Right

I'm always a little terrified when I go to a friend's house and hear that fruit salad is on the menu. It's the thought of all that cut cantaloupe and honey dew melon; the whole grapes or limp strawberries; and oh, gasp, the brown bananas -- I just hate it and it hardly ever tastes very good! Most of the time people just pick out the fruit they like and the rest goes to waste anyway! The point, my faithful blog readers, is that we can do better justice to the fruit.

Try arranging fruit separately on a pretty platter or grouping fruits that all ripen in the same season together in a salad. Mixing together medium-dicing cantaloupe and melon, adding a bit of minced fresh mint, some blueberries, a splash of lemon and a tiny bit of sugar also makes a lovely salad but it doesn't even compare to the combination that I have absolutely fallen in love with from the sandwich chain 'wichcraft... For their little slice of deliciousness, combine segmented oranges and grapefruit with diced mangoes and pineapples and then toss in a few blueberries -- that's it. The 'wichcraft salad is so fresh and delicious that I can't go to the restaurant and not order it -- it's like heaven in a little plastic takeaway container.

1 comment:

  1. Now that does sound like a tasty, simple fruit salad! Sometimes that old saying about "Less is more" can be quite true or maybe not that one exactly but I think that you get my drift. Going overboard isn't always good.

    I know that I sometimes throw in a big bunch of fruit into a bowl and hope that it all gets eaten. But obviously from your comments above; you don't always appreciate the mixture. I do get that brown bananas are not everyone's favourite!

    ReplyDelete