Monday, August 9, 2010

I've Got Two Tiers!

We spent Lesson 99 covering our cakes in fondant and stacking them. Other people finished working on their gum paste flowers (which are the pastry equivalent of 'the song that will not end') but since I had finished those last week, I helped make an enormous batch of royal icing and began working on the cornelli lace detail on my cake.

Here are a few shots from the day:


My stacked cake! (I was rather excited that I actually got it covered and looking like a real live cake pretty much all by myself...I needed Chef's eyes to help me center the top tier...)


The beginning of the cornelli lace -- you can't really see that the cake is white and the lace is a very, very light pink to tie in the pink flowers


Cornelli lace detail

Tomorrow, Lesson 100, we are finishing our cakes, displaying them and partaking in our final reception. I wish I could say I was excited but we all know I'm a little bit sad. Stay tuned for tomorrow's final (final) product!

3 comments:

  1. Looks very pretty so far! Enjoy your last day! Congratulations!. You have done such a wonderful job and learned so much. Be proud of the wonderful information (Blog) you have created and will be with all of us forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beauty - can't wait to see it Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do know that today will be a day of mixed emotions and we will be thinking of you. But you just have to remember how far you have come from those first lessons and how much you have learned from all the chefs and staff.

    I must admit that the course was much more thorough and extensive than I had expected. So if you are able to create pastries, breads, cookies, cakes and cupcakes like we have seen on this blog, then the experience was well worth it!

    I also cannot wait to view the finished product soon. And yes, you can definitely see the light pink cornelli lace and the detail is amazing! I can't wait to see the flowers on top.

    ReplyDelete