Friday, August 27, 2010

Operation Wedding Cake: The Work On The Toppers Begin!

I've been a busy lady this week with school and externship business going on -- it's leaving little time for focus on blogs and wedding cake bits. Tonight though, since my hands were finally almost back to a normal color, I decided it was time to get to work on the cake topper. It's important to me that a cake topper has, to quote one of my chefs, 'a little personality'. I had been searching online for one that was sassy and fun and I came across plenty -- I came across plenty with enormous price tags (why is it that whenever the word wedding is in the title that things automatically get more expensive?) so I decided that I would try to make my own. Lucky for me, if things go south or if the perfectionist in me doesn't like my final result, I have plenty of (expensive) back ups -- I'm thinking of it as motivation.

A little known fact about Collin Murray, to anyone who isn't me or his family that is, is that he loves penguins. So to delight him I decided to make a "bride" and "groom" penguin cake topper. Here's what I've got so far:


When I started this evening, I had the penguin forms that I had made earlier this week and allowed to dry.


So after my work tonight, I have two wee penguins that I've dressed in their best whites.


I have a top hat and a selection of groom-like finishing touches -- I like the, ahem, Tiffany blue bow-tie with the red knot...


I also have a couple of bride-like necklaces. I can't decide which to use, I'm going to dust them with a little petal dust so the pearls with be iridescent and the red ones will be a little bit sparkly -- like garnets -- but we will have to see which one I decide to use in the coming days.


I've also started making some roses for a bouquet. I've got six right now but I might make more. Trouble is that they are only about as big as the head of a pen and kind of fiddly to make so we will have to see how my patience holds up!

3 comments:

  1. lol! I love it! The little pengies look great! I knew you could do it! Rupert the penquin was his favorite book! He may not be happy with his mama for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks like the beginnings of a very handsome couple of formal penguins!

    Keep us posted as to their developement.

    Sorry for the lack of commenting recently, I was away for a couple weeks in August and just got out of the routine. Mainly because for one of the weeks we had no internet/computer connections.

    But glad to see that you are still blogging away.

    ReplyDelete