Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Healthy Man's Granola

Collin Murray is a granola freak. I say that with love and affection, really I do but the man is a granola freak. Problem is, a lot of granola out there is really quite fatty and only pretends to be good for you when it's really not. Enter my recipe for Maple Granola. Originally from Cooking Light Magazine, this recipe is amazingly simple and delicious. I like to use whatever nuts I have on hand which means sometimes I use almonds, sometimes walnuts, sometimes pecans and sometimes I get a little crazy and use a collection of all three.

MAPLE GRANOLA
Makes about 4 cups

2 cups regular oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (use what you love)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
Pinch of salt


Heat oven to 300F. Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl till all the oats are coated with the maple syrup. Spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring at about the 15 minutes mark. Cool on the tray and store in an airtight container.


*As a note, I have baked this granola with dried fruit before with lukewarm results. If you want to add dried fruit I would suggest that you add it after the granola is baked and cooled.

1 comment:

  1. Collin Murray and I had a run to Costco earlier this week and he was commented that he was looking forward to this shipment of granola that you were sending him. No wonder he wasn't interested in the special deal they had an some breakfast cereal called Cinnamon Toast crunch or something with loads of sugar, etc.

    This looks much healthier!

    ReplyDelete