Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bad Chocolate? Is That Possible?

So I told you yesterday that our chocolates were setting in their molds overnight and I wish that I could tell you that the results were successful but I can't, cause they weren't. One of our molds never even released the chocolate and the other mold, the ones that had had chocolate sprayed into them, set but the chocolate that we sprayed was not the proper temperature and it dried disgustingly. I was pretty upset, I'm not going to lie. Yesterday was a tough day with a lot of new techniques and to not have a single chocolate turn out was pretty upsetting. However, we trucked along today and produced a number of beautiful, shiny, well constructed chocolates that were rather tasty.

Hopefully these pictures give you an idea of how we constructed the molded chocolates; as I said, it is a bit of a process.

Tomorrow we have a big exam on, what else, molded chocolates. I'm a little nervous because I've only had success with the chocolates just this one day but we will see how it goes as I try to churn out purty chocolates!


These are the molds that the chocolate is poured into and kind of swirled around in till it is coated and then the excess chocolate is poured out and you are left with...


A cleaned mold waiting to be filled.


Here is a mold filled by piping in ganache into the little reservoirs. This mold is waiting to be covered by a top layer of chocolate. This is basically done by pouring the chocolate into the molds, spreading it evenly with a spatula across the entirety of the mold and then removing the excess with a big ol' spatula.


First perfect chocolate to be unmolded


My favorite photo of today -- A Hedgehog(!) Chocolate filled with Matcha Green Tea "guts"...sassy chocolates are where it's at!

2 comments:

  1. Well I am not sure how appetizing that colour of green is! If it tasted like pistachios, maybe...

    But I am not a fan of cream filled chocolates. I think if you had coated some nuts with that chocolate, then we would be talking!

    ReplyDelete