Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Only Spinach Salad For Me

I have to admit that I've never really been one for spinach salads. It's something about the eggs and the mushrooms, and well, the spinach that I'm just not a real fan of. However, since Collin Murray likes them and relationships are about compromise, I've tried to find spinach salads that delight us both. It actually didn't take that long to find one, Martha is always a reliable source for such things.

This spinach salad has a warm dressing that ever-so-slightly wilts the spinach and has an excellent tang. Martha serves hers with roasted pecans but I prefer a poached or fried egg to round out the dish in terms of protein.


WARM SPINACH SALAD WITH BACON AND TOMATOES
Adapted from Everyday Food
Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a starter

8 slices of bacon cut into 1-inch strips
1/2 of a red onion, sliced thinly
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2-3 bunches of fresh spinach (about 7-8 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste
*2-3 eggs (optional)

Before you begin to cook, chop your bacon, thinly slice your onion and half your tomatoes: set these ingredients aside so you will be ready to add them when the time is right.

Cook the bacon over medium heat till nice and crispy in a large nonstick skillet, spoon off bacon and set it aside to cool on a paper towel; drain off all but 3 tablespoons of the grease. Return the pan to medium heat and add the onion. Saute till it is translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar and allow to cook for about 2 more minutes or until the tomatoes are heated through. At that point, add a little salt and pepper; taste to make sure that the dressing is to your liking. Either add more seasoning or carefully pour the dressing over a bowl of spinach, add bacon, toss and enjoy.

*What I usually do with this salad is have Collin Murray fry a couple of eggs in the same pan that I used to crisp the bacon and make the dressing but you could easily add a hard-boiled egg, or a poached egg if that was your taste.

2 comments:

  1. Well we had a slightly different version of this spinach salad last night. I used Mark Bittman's recipe for a warm spinach salad. And it was delicious! So I still have a bunch of spinach left over and I think that I will try your version tomorrow night. I just have to go out and buy some grape tomatoes now! The ones I have in the garden are just flowering, so I will have to wait a few weeks and by then the spinach will have bolted. I guess that you make do with what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking the recipe again as we are planning to make it tonight. I forgot to comment that you took an excellent picture of your salad! It looks very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete