Saturday, July 17, 2010

My New Favorite Muffin

I realized today that a while ago I'd made some super amazing muffins and I never told y'all about them. For this, I am truly sorry.

A few months ago Collin Murray and I went to an iconic New York restaurant called Veselka (you may recall from this post). Veselka serves delicious Eastern European food and American-style pastries that are also rather tasty. Soon after the first time that we ate there, Collin and I discovered the Veselka Cookbook and naturally, since we have a cookbook addition (no, really, it's a "work-related", "research" purchase), we bought that baby. I have to admit that the cookbook itself is kind of lack lustre but these muffins are not. I Promise: They. Are. Delicious.

CHOCOLATE-CHIP PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Adapted from The Veselka Cookbook
Makes about one dozen large muffins

1 3/4 cups rolled (not instant) oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (whatever percent you have is a-ok)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Ok, ok, I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but it's mostly pantry essentials so don't fret!

Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with liners. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder and baking soda, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt with a whisk till you can see that all the sugar is broken up. Once the dry ingredients are mixed, stir the chocolate chips into the mixture. In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, eggs and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the wet: mix together til combined being sure not to over mix. Using a large ice cream scoop, fill the muffin liners 2/3 full.


Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins in the middle of the baking tin comes out clean.


This is the finished product and also one of my favorite photos -- it delights me.

1 comment:

  1. hey there, I have heard about these famous muffins and now we actually get to have the recipe! Aren't we lucky!

    It was too hot while we were in NYC to try out the Veselka restaurant. We will have to put that on our list for our next trip.

    ReplyDelete