Friday, July 30, 2010

Gum Paste Flowers Are Fun, Fun, Fun!

I'm kind of in shock. I really didn't expect to like cake decorating. I thought I would hate the detail work and that making gum paste flowers would be a dreadful experience. I was wrong. I sort of love it. I wish I knew before the end of school...

So today, as I said, we started working on gum paste flowers. Gum paste is basically a mixture of fondant and a natural chemical called tylose. Basically, gum paste never goes bad, ever, so when you make flowers with it, you can keep them indefinitely. Also, the mixing the tylose into the fondant enables you to roll the gum paste paper thin so you can make life-like flowers. We worked on the bases of five different flowers today: mimosas, roses, calla lilies, five-petal flowers, and five-petal bases. Since it is the weekend, the gum paste is going to have time to dry (it needs at least an hour but a day is better) and then Monday we are going to start making petals and creating life-like flowers!

I know they don't look like much but here are our flowers so far:


Mimosas


Buds for the roses


Calla lily bases


Five-Petal Blossoms

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks like tedious work. I am surprized that you have the patience for that. But maybe it puts you into that zen mode.

    ReplyDelete