Sunday, July 18, 2010

Strawberry Fro-YO!

I know I go on and on about my ice cream maker and I am really sorry to do so but I just love mine and I love the things it enables me to make. Ice cream and frozen yogurt, gelato and sorbet -- they are all so expensive to buy and so cheap to make yourself. If you haven't done so yet, get your butt out there and get an ice cream maker, I promise you won't be sorry.

I know that strawberries are not particularly seasonal right now but I happen too be one of those people who, when it comes to strawberries, doesn't really care. I love 'em all times of the year and I love that when the fresh ones are obnoxiously over-priced, that the frozen ones generally do the trick to satisfy my craving.


Which brings me to today's post, Strawberry Fro-Yo. Collin Murray love love loves the Fro-Yo that I began making ages ago but I personally find the recipe to be a touch tart for my liking. When I found this recipe from David Lebovitz (of course and yet again, he of The Perfect Scoop fame), I had to try it. It seemed simple enough, slice up some strawberries, mix them with sugar and let them get all nice and syrup-y, puree, mix with yogurt, a tiny bit of lemon juice and then stick the mixture into the ice cream machine. Now let me tell you, it was simple but straining the strawberry puree so that you didn't have seeds in the final fro-yo was simply too much work. Seriously, I don't have all day people and so I just skipped that little step, I don't mind the seeds but if you do, make sure you don't get impatient...like me.

STRAWBERRY FROZEN YOGURT
Adapted here from David Lebovitz

1 pound strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
1 teaspoon lemon juice


Thinly slice the strawberries and mix them in a bowl with the sugar. Leave the bowl on the counter and give the mixture a little mix every 15 minutes or so for about an hour.

Place the strawberries and their juices into a food processor or blender and puree till there are no longer any chunks of fruit left. Whisk the puree in a bowl with the yogurt and lemon juice and place in an ice cream maker. Freeze according the the manufacturer's directions and enjoy!


*If you wanted to strain your mixture, do so before mixing the puree with the yogurt and lemon juice. Also, the original recipe had 2/3 of a cup of sugar in it and I felt that was a whole lotta sugar which is why I cut it down to a half. If you like a sweeter fro-yo, feel free to add the original amount.

*Another little note to add is that this fro-yo gets really, well, fro. Once you put it in the freezer, it freezes solid and I recommend removing it before you want to eat it at least a half and hour in advance.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice to read about your yo-fro or is it fro-yo? So tempting yet so sensible!

    It seems like all these delectable delights are even more amazing when you write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have always thought that buying an ice cream maker was not necessary. But we were on our way to a Stampede BBQ and I was bringing my new gluten free Rhubarb/Mixed Berry Crisp dish for dessert. Unfortunately we were running late and had to stop off at a convenience store for some vanilla ice cream to go with the crisp. I must admit that I choked at the almost $9 price tag for a 1.89L container!

    So maybe I should rethink that idea. This does seem like a pretty easy recipe. And BTW, up north here the strawberries are just making their presence known.

    ReplyDelete