Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bring On The Chocolate

We started Module Four today, the first part of which is all about chocolate. We are going to learn how to make molded chocolates and then we are going to actually mold chocolate into sculptures and we are going to do all sorts of other things that are sure to get my jacket all chocolate-y but first we had to learn to temper chocolate. Now, I'm not sure if I can explain this so that y'all know what the heck I'm talking about but I'm going to try. Basically, tempering chocolate is a process of melting chocolate to a specific temperature slowly and gently, then cooling it and then heating it back up again. The process provides shine, prevents the chocolate from greying and also prevents the cocoa butter and the chocolate from separating. It sounds easy enough but it is quite a science and a process -- you have to do it slowly and you have to stir, a lot. Also, if you go over a specific temperature when you are first melting the chocolate, you have to start again -- effectively, you have ruined the chocolate.

With our tempered chocolate we made little clusters of nuts and other bits. My partner and I made coconut clusters...


Tomorrow we are making Buttercream, Almond Crunch and making something called Zebra Gianduja, and I'm positive that I will also have even more little chocolate factoids to share with y'all too!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! How come there is only one photo in your blog? I guess that is punishment for no one making comments lately.

    I don't blame you as it must be stifling to have to work in a kitchen when it is that warm outside. I do hope that the school has fixed the previous problems with the A/C! I can't imagine working in the same room with a huge oven if it wasn't!

    We are hearing about the heat wave daily these days since it is now affecting Toronto and the Maritimes. But from the sounds of things it has been pretty warm in NYC for some time now. I would be parked in front of the fan or air conditioner if I was there right now.

    How are the grand-kittens holding up?

    ReplyDelete