Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Let The Celebration Cakes Begin

We are back into cakes again but this time they are cakes that we likely won't be eating since were only going to be baking them to decorate them. Not that we didn't learn to decorate before but this time we are going to be learning how to cover cakes in fondant or marzipan, how to decorate using royal icing, and next week, how to make gum paste flowers. I'm thinking of it as decorating cakes kicked up about ten notches.

We started today by learning how to cover a "dummy cake" or a Styrofoam board with marzipan that we made and then colored.


Are we really surprised by my choice of color for the cake?

After we had all finished covered our cakes, it took a little while since it was the first time that most of us had ever covered a cake, we made royal icing and practiced piping(yes, again...) with it. The icing is a pretty easy substance to work with actually, it flows much slower than chocolate which makes it easier to control with the piping bag.


Swiss dots


Cornet lace...it doesn't look like lace to me either but I kind of like the look anyway!

Tomorrow we are going to be finishing our "dummy cakes" and I have to admit that I'm a little stuck on how exactly I'm going to do that -- there are too many neat, new skills to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment