Friday, July 9, 2010

Tons Of Truffles!

We made truffles today and it made me very happy. Messy, dirty, totally covered in chocolate but happy. We made two kinds, a Champagne Truffle (which didn't actually have Champagne in it but instead had Cognac...?) and an Earl Grey Truffle -- both were delicious but I think the Earl Grey may have delighted me just a little bit more taste-wise.

To make the truffles, we started by making a ganache. We placed warm cream and melted chocolate in the bowl of a food processor and added liqueur and butter while the machine was turned on. We let the mixture process till it was cool and thick and then we allowed the ganache to set up for a while.


Ganache and cream mixing in the food processor

Then we piped little rounds, let them cool before we rolled them into balls.


Piped truffles ready to be rolled after they're chilled

After the little balls chilled, we used our hands to "enrobe" them in chocolate and then "mask" them in a topping like crushed almonds or cocoa powder.


My partner Shannon, enrobing a truffle


Earl Grey Truffle masked in crushed almonds


Our tray of finished truffles!

3 comments:

  1. whatis in the inside of these truffles, messy but look great Love Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now your talkin'. Yum Yum! Is this Collins last taste test day for awhile. Should be enough sugar in them to hold him over for a bit. It is so cool that you are learning such great and various things. I would love to be there learning all of that. Enjoy and thanks for keeping me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tons of truffles! Well I am already scheming about hiring you to make some of these for my Christmas goody bags. I enjoyed hearing the details of how you made the Earl Grey truffles on the phone. Now I am dying to taste them.

    When did you say you were coming home???

    I am sure that you will do fine in the Big Apple by yourself for a bit. But you will probably miss Collin Murray's input on tasting your special treats. I heard that he is not that fond of chocolate so maybe you can find someone in the building that craves it!

    ReplyDelete