Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wee Little Marzipan Fruits

We made marzipan fruit today. That's all. Truly. Four hours of marzipan fruit. Apparently making marzipan fruit is a dying art but our chef assured us that it is still an important skill to know.

I don't know if I've ever shared this with you, but marzipan is super easy to make. Basically, take one pound of almond paste and break it into little pieces in a Kitchen Aid mixer and before you turn on the mixer, add in eight ounces of confectioner's sugar. Mix till the almond paste and sugar look like very finely ground almonds and then add eight more ounces of confectioner's sugar. Then, very slowly drizzle in three fluid ounces of white corn syrup and mix till the marzipan is combined and smooth. For our purposes today, with the shaping and detailing of the fruit, we added a bit of fondant to smooth out the marzipan and make it a little more pliable.

Here are some of my little fruits...not very realistic, I realize.


Pears


Apricot


Apples

Tomorrow we have an enormous test on chocolate and then on little bits of things from the entire course. We found out we were doing it tomorrow, today. There is not enough time to study and I'm freaking out but this is our last test and I couldn't be happier about that fact.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! You will do awesome on your final test.I think this is your forte! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peach is my favourtie! So how do these little fruits taste? Or are they strictly for decoration?

    ReplyDelete