Sunday, July 11, 2010

Canadian Craving

Yesterday Collin Murray mentioned that he had a craving. Now, for those of you who know him, you will know that this statement is hardly a rarity -- he always has a craving for something. However yesterday's craving was something that I was entirely capable of doing something about -- he wanted Nanaimo Bars. Being that I'm in pastry school, I felt a little guilty about looking for the boxed mix in the store last night and even guiltier when the store didn't sell the boxed mix and I was mad that I was forced to make my own...


Apparently Nanaimo Bars are a purely Canadian thing...who knew?! All the Americans that I asked about them knew not of what I spoke. So after a few minutes of googling, I was informed that Nanaimo Bars are indeed from the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. They originally appeared in the 1930's after a housewife named Mabel Jenkins submitted her recipe to a local women's cookbook. Though they have been referred to by a number of different names, Chocolate Fridge Cake, New York Slices (of course, those pesky New Yorkers tried to claim the bar as their own) and Mabel Cake, after Mrs. Jenkins's recipe was published in the 1950's, it can't be denied that the bars starting popping up at many a Canadian bake sale, funeral or grocery store across the country.

Today the classic three-layer Nanaimo Bar that originally consisted of a no-bake chocolate/coconut/graham cracker crust, a buttery Bird's custard center and a chocolate topping has morphed into many a-different flavors. Now you can find mocha, mint, peanut butter, etc, etc. Me, I still like the original.


I would have included the recipe that I used but I found it rather awkward and difficult to read, it needs a little rewriting before I share it with y'all but if you can't wait, it is found on the site Closet Cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am glad that you were able to produce the final result for Collin Murray. When we chatted earlier this weekend on the phone, I suggested going to some deli counter to buy him a piece. But apparently Nanaimo bars are not that easy to find even in NYC!

    I hope he appreciated the effort. And again, I am so impressed with the quality of your photograph. Wow! That is quite the details of the different textures. So impressed!

    ReplyDelete