Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cupcake Day!

Finally! Our chef told us today that really the only reason that we were getting to decorate cupcakes today was that three days of solid piping without something to break it up made students want to slam their heads into the wall. I admit, it wasn't fun practicing but it sure makes it worthwhile to be able to pipe onto those tiny little cupcakes today and have great results.

We began the class by learning how to pipe rose buds and vines, full roses and also how to pipe a basket weave pattern. The roses are actually pretty tough and for the first while, most of mine came out looking more like carnations than like roses but our chef said that that's ok. He said that the point is not necessarily to do it like the text book or like he does it but to put our own style on it and just be consistent. He's a gem.

Now I could blabber on about how to pipe and coloring the frosting and about how freaking delicious the frosting was but really, I know y'all just want to see the cupcakes, so here a few of them are!


My favorite cupcake with my bestest rose!


Shell boarder and rosette centers


Grass(!) and a little butterfly


Basket weave with decorative dots


Almost the whole lot of 'em! These are my partner and I's cupcakes but after this picture I still decorated more...I couldn't help it, it was really, really fun!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! So those 3 days of practice look like they paid off. That is a lot of frosting to deal with. But from the sounds of things you enjoyed the procedure and it looks like you are darn good at it as well!

    And that pink rose looks very real. Very nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all! The colors & patterns are fabulous. Your bestest rose is the bestest! Practice makes perfect, and you got it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Katie, it must take lots of passions.I hope U can remember all the stuff you have learned Love U Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S I spelled patient X oh my god getting old is so much fun NAN

    ReplyDelete